An extremely easy recipe, yet utterly delicious if cooked perfectly. A good friend of mine insisted that I add this recipe to the site – I personally thought it was too easy and basic a recipe, but here goes:
Serves 1 cooking time 5 minsCost per portion £0.79
1. Melt the butter in a small pan over a very low heat – don’t let the butter turn brown.
2. Crack the eggs into the pan (still over a very low heat), add a pinch of salt and mix well until the yolks and whites are completely mixed up.
3. Raise the heat a little and continue cooking for about another 20 seconds – the eggs should still be runny – then add the grated cheese.
4. When the cheese has melted and the eggs are softly set add a tablespoon of fresh double cream and give a final stir before serving immediately with some coarse black pepper.
A small knob of butter (½ a teaspoon)
2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon fresh double cream
A pinch of salt
Coarse black pepper – to taste
I personally thought that this was too easy and basic a recipe to put down in writing, but as I’ve said above, a good friend of mine insisted that I add it to the site, which is why it’s here. It feels a bit like Delia explaining to us ‘how to boil an egg’!
If you prefer plain scrambled eggs, just follow the above recipe without the cheese.
If you prefer softly scrambled eggs it’s crucial to take the pan off the heat as soon as the eggs start to set – they continue cooking even after taking them off the heat, so err on the side of taking them off too soon – you can always put the pan back onto the heat if they are too soft and runny, but you can’t undo the cooking if they are over done.
Nutrition Information for scrambled eggs with cheese:
|Nutrition||per 100g||per portion||RDA women||RDA men||RDA child|
|Energy||226 kcal||356 kcal||18%||14%||20%|
|Protein||13 g||21 g||46%||37%||86%|
|Carbohydrate*||0.2 g||0.3 g||0%||0%||0%|
|Total Sugars*||0.2 g||0.3 g||0%||0%||0%|
|Fat||19 g||30 g||43%||32%||43%|
|Polyunsaturates||1.3 g||2.0 g|
|Mono Unsaturates||6.4 g||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||9.3 g||15 g||73%||49%||73%|
|Fibre*||0.0 g||0.0 g||0%||0%||0%|
|Salt||0.5 g||0.8 g||14%||14%||21%|
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet for an average adult.
Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Allergens: Milk, Egg,
Cost per portion: £ 0.79