Grilled Aubergine with Sweet Miso and Sesame Seeds
A delicious Japanese recipe!
Serves 4 Preparation time 20 mins Cooking time 15 mins Cost per portion £1.40
1. Wash and cut the aubergines in half lengthways and pat the aubergines dry.
2. Pre heat a grill
3. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large saucepan or wok until it is hot – about 180 degrees C
4. Fry the aubergines for about 3 minutes on each side – until lightly browned – they should be soft and cooked through, but still keep their shape after being fried.
5. Pat the aubergines on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil, and then sprinkle a tiny bit of salt and chilli powder on to the cut surface.
6. Spread ½ a tablespoon of Saikyo miso onto the cut surface of each aubergine half, and place them under a grill until the miso starts to bubble and brown slightly – this takes about 5minutes, but be careful as it can burn easily.
7. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve immediately.
4 small aubergines
Vegetable Oil for deep-frying of aubergines
Saikyo Miso sauce (see below for recipe)
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons roasted black sesame seeds
Method for Saikyo miso sauce
1. Put the miso paste in a saucepan and add the sugar.
2. Gradually add the sake and mirin, stirring well to prevent lumps from forming.
3. Heat the mixture over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly all the while.
4. Take the pan off the heat and let the mixture cool down – it keeps well in the fridge for a few months. (Saikyo miso can also be used with fish – as in this seabass recipe).
Ingredients for Saikyo miso sauce
4 tablespoons (125g) white miso paste
4 tablespoons (50g) sugar
Aubergines are strictly speaking classified as berries!
Health benefits of aubergines:
They are a good source of fibre, folic acid, potassium and anthocyanins (an anti-oxidant) – all of which are beneficial to health.
Health Benefits of Sesame seeds:
Sesame seeds are rich in beneficial minerals and contain lignans (a type of phytoestrogen) which have a cholesterol lowering effect.
Nutrition Information for aubergine with miso:
|Nutrition||per 100g||per portion||RDA women||RDA men||RDA child|
|Energy||92 kcal||292 kcal||15%||12%||16%|
|Protein*||1.9 g||6.1 g||14%||11%||25%|
|Carbohydrate||11 g||34 g||15%||11%||15%|
|Total Sugars*||7.0 g||22 g||25%||19%||26%|
|Fat||4.4 g||14 g||20%||15%||20%|
|Polyunsaturates*||2.3 g||7.3 g|
|Mono Unsaturates*||0.8 g||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat*||0.5 g||1.6 g||8%||5%||8%|
|Fibre*||1.6 g||5.2 g||21%||21%||34%|
|Salt||1.3 g||4.1 g||68%||68%||103%|
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet for an average adult.
Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Allergens: Sesame, Soya
Cost per recipe:£ 5.60
Cost per portion:£1.40