An Indian salad made from potatoes, chick peas, yoghurt and sweet tamarind chutney. This is a favourite of most of my friends, and has almost become my signature dish. Very easy to make, but most people are impressed by it!
Serves 4 Preparation time 20 mins Cooking time 20 mins Cost £ 4.37
1. Boil the potato until it is soft but can still hold its shape, then cut into ¾ inch cubes and keep aside until it has cooled down.
2. Mix all the yogurt ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Add all the salad ingredients to the yogurt and mix well.
4. Decorate with some finely chopped fresh coriander on top.
Ingredients for salad
1 medium sized potato, boiled, cooled and cut into cubes
1 tin chick peas (400g), drained
¼ medium cucumber, chopped coarsely
½ small onion, chopped finely
1 small tin sweet corn (200g), drained
100g unsalted peanuts
1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped finely
Ingredients for yoghurt
1 large pot yoghurt (500g)
1 – 2 tablespoons caster sugar
¾ teaspoon cumin powder
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ -½ teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
3 tablespoons of sweet tamarind chutney
|Nutrition||per 100g||per portion||RDA women||RDA men||RDA child|
|Polyunsaturates*||1.1 g||4.9 g|
|Mono Unsaturates*||1.5 g||6.4 g|
|Saturated Fat*||1.3 g||5.8 g||29%||19%||29%|
|Total Sugars*||7.9 g||34 g||38%||29%||40%|
|Carbohydrate||16 g||69 g||30%||23%||31%|
|Energy||125 kcal||540 kcal||27%||22%||30%|
|Protein*||5.3 g||23 g||51%||42%||96%|
|Fat||4.8 g||21 g||30%||22%||30%|
|Fibre NSP*||1.8 g||7.9 g||44%||44%||52%|
* Percentage Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet for an average adult.
Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Allergens: Peanuts, Gluten, Milk
Cost per recipe:£ 4.37
Cost per portion:£1.09